Friday 20 November 2015

Ribbon Embroidery


Hello crafty friends!  Today I have something a bit different to share with you.  I was encouraged by a sweet lady to try ribbon embroidery.  I've never done this before and thought I'd give it a try.  I cannot say that it is my talent....but I did finish what I started.  There are many many ways to do this skill but I tried a free hand on a small bag that I found.  It was a material with a looser weave that I thought would be easier to let the ribbon pass through.

I used an upholstery needle to fit the ribbon through the eye, and plunged right in.  I used four different ribbons, but all were satin and were very smooth to go through the fabric.  I struggled with getting the ribbon to lay lay just the right way. :)

It was an interesting project, and I'll be adding an insert to the bag to protect the backing of the work.  I have yet to find the right material....I'll keep looking.


Here are some pictures of the little panels that I worked on a little closer.  I tried to make three different kinds of flowers....yes, feel free to laugh.  I almost didn't share this...but I suppose it's all part of the crafting process.  




Thank you for taking the time to drop by and check out my blog! Praying you have a lovely day!

Sharing this post with The Art of Homemaking Mondays.


3 comments:

JES said...

I love how your project came out and am a fan of ribbon embroidery. I tried some on some t-shirts when my daughter was a toddler. They were so fun to make! :)

Danielle Dunn said...

so pretty! something I couldn't do! I love the lil red flowers XD

Tracy said...

I'm so glad you shared this. I have always thought ribbon embroidery was so pretty. Haven't tried it myself but you sure did a lovely job. I like the flowers a lot. Hugs!